Sunday, March 2, 2008

Old Time Fudge

Because you asked, here's the recipe for the fudge I made my youngins for Valentines.

2 cups sugar

2 Tblsp. cocoa

3/4 cups milk

2 Tblsp. karo syrup

2 Tblsp. butter

2 Tblsp. peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a heavy 2 qt sauce pan mix sugar and cocoa until thouroughly blended.  Stir in milk and corn syrup.  Heat over medium until all disolved and starts to boil.  Cook to the soft ball stage.  (drop a little in cold water and see if you can roll into a soft ball).  Remove from heat and add butter and peanut butter without stirring. Let cool a few minutes.  Then stir in vanilla and beat until it thickens and begins to lose it's gloss.  Pour into a buttered plate.  Let cool.

You can stir in 1/2 cup broken pecans or walnuts at the end of the beating time if you like.  You can make peanut butter fudge by omiting the cocoa and adding another Tablespoon of  peanut butter. 

I have a real old recipe of mother's that doesn't call for the peanut butter.  But it requires a lot longer beating time.  My hands and wrists can't hold up to it.  The peanut butter is actually a trick to decrease the beating time.  Can't even taste it in the regular chocolate fudge. 

 

 


Tags:

9 comments:

  1. I'm saving this recipe.  I love a good homemade fudge!  Thanks!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good but I don't make sweets much anymore. I have no self control. lol Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so very much.
    LJG
    If God brings it to you, He will take you thru it.
    http://journals.aol.com/momsfirstscreenn/FAITH/
    Hbr 11:1  Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    When you are down to nothing, God is up to something

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to make this Barbara...thank you for sharing.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...I will have to make this when my husband comes home for R&R. Because of the milk, the fudge wouldn't travel well.
    Laini
    http://journals.aol.com/mereel2005/Love-Iraq/  

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so good
    man im hungry right now! lol
    thanks for the recipe
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yummy. That looks delicious. Love Pam Mind It will probably taste better If you make It and post It! lol ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are so making me seriously hungry!! Please pass the fudge!!  Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slobbering...hehehe.  I would really like to have your old-fashoined fudge recipe, if you're up to sharing.  I grew up on that, and can't stand the squishy stuff people try to pass as fudge these days.  My dad makes the best fudge I've ever had...he hates to do it...and won't share the recipe!  Stinker! ;)  C.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...