Saturday, April 5, 2014

Ego


Ergo the Ego. Ego tends to get a bad rap. It conjures up images of superior, smug, condescending individuals. Snobs. Show offs and smart asses. In it's purest form, ego is simply a type of self-awareness. A sense of one's worth.

I find that my ego, for the most part, holds a steady value. But certain reflections can shine a different light upon it. When I compare my self to my Lord and my Savior, my ego becomes very small. Because I know “without Him I would be nothing”. Yet, when I turn that perspective around to what He was willing to do for me, for you, I feel extremely over-valued.

In a more worldly way, my parents instilled in me a very strong sense that though I was not more than any one I was as much as anyone. Daddy literally thought the sun rose in my head and set in my feet. He thought his little girl could be Miss Texas, pursue any career she chose, etc. And Mama always respected me...even enough to apologize to me when she thought an apology was due me. What they instilled in me has always been enough that no one else has ever been able to tear it down, no matter how they may have assaulted my sense of worth. And that my friends is why a healthy sense of ego is important!

Without a measure of ego people are downtrodden, abused, overlooked, prone to create disasters for themselves.

If you are suffering from a deflated ego and suffering for it, then I beseech you to open the Word of God and read of the great cost He was willing to pay for you. Pray to Him. Ask Him to let you see yourself as He sees you. Yes, you'll see some things you don't like and will want to change---but He will help you. And you'll be surprised and amazed at the things He see in you that are beautiful, worthy, upright and good.

8 comments:

  1. Great post - stopping by to show some A to Z love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts and gives me a whole new perspective to "ego!" Thank you for sharing. I tried to set up the follow buttons but it did not work. When I get more time, I take a look at youtube tutorials, I'm computer challenged, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I'd be glad to give you help adding the follow button if you need it. Got your email! Will try to hook up with you on Facebook next time I'm on it.

      Delete
  3. It took me a good many years to develop a sense of self-esteem. I still struggle with it sometimes, but I know that God believes in me and loves me, so I can't be all bad!;)

    I see you say you are married to a redneck. I guess, living in Kentucky, that means I'm married to a hillbilly! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting LuAnn! I suppose not everyone in Kentucky is a hillbilly. I know everyone in SE Texas isn't a redneck. But if you lived here and you knew hubby's last name, you'd know they invented redneck. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful, touching post. How blessed you were to have parents that valued you so much. I will try to remember your prayer suggestion so that He can heal my sense of worth. Thank you.

    Have a great week.

    Your sis in Christ,
    Suz...(Wharton, TX)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! Yes, I was blessed in so many ways I never realized until I was all grown up and many years had passed. I took for granted that everyone had parents and a family like mine. I have no doubt that Christ can help you, or anyone, see the best in themselves and use it for His glory. God bless!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...