Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Attitude



A long time ago, I realized that attitude is half the battle in most anything you do or encounter in life. Internally and externally. Let me give you some life examples.

Externally: Project the attitude that I belong here and I know what I am doing.
I could walk the halls at school, go wherever I wanted and never be questioned by teachers and staff I passed because I wasn't giving off the scared rabbit vibe or the sulking bad girl vibe.

Externally: Project confidence and defiance when needed.
I worked with a young woman 25 years ago that came running into the office out of the warehouse in tears because a warehouse worker said “I'd love to get me some of that .” ,when she walked by. She was shaken. I couldn't grasp where she was coming from. Usually no one ever said anything like that to me or within my earshot. But on the rare occasions when they did, I either met their gaze with a face of stone or I casually called over my shoulder, “in your dreams!” Depending where it happened, who they were, who else might be around and such. I never had the thought for even a minute that I should crumple and cry or shriek like a rabbit and run.

Internally: Tell yourself you are tired, lazy, sick, etc.
You'll get nothing accomplished and later or tomorrow feel even worse because things have stacked up and you feel overwhelmed and still tired, sick, lazy, etc.
Tell yourself I've got to get my butt moving, I want this done, it's a beautiful day for this, etc.
You'll be surprised how much you actually do get done before you quit for the day. The next day, there's a little less to do and you actually do feel better because of it.

These may not be the best examples of what I am talking about, but I think you get the idea. If you haven't tried it before, please give it ago! If you have, tell me how it went for you.

10 comments:

  1. So true! And just what I needed to by reminded of today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my rambling useful. Usually in the A-Z I write entries that involve more story telling. That is my strong suit. But this year I wanted to focus more on letting others get to know me.

      Delete
  2. I get what you are saying here Barbara; there is definitely something to be said about our attitudes influencing how we live our days and our lives.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Betty. You can tell I'm more of a story teller. ;) But I wanted to give others a chance to know "me" better this A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there. I find that filling my thoughts with all the blessings I have received from God move me into action. Thanks for visiting my blog. All the best with the challenge!
    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting our blessings is the cure for many of life's ills!

      Delete
  5. I need reminding of this everyday... I'm the worst in my head with the negative thoughts... Positive thoughts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do tend to beat our own selves worse than anyone else in our life. Just know I think you are an amazing lady!

      Delete
  6. I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyy needed to hear this today, especially "Internally: Tell yourself you are tired, lazy, sick, etc.
    You'll get nothing accomplished and later or tomorrow feel even worse because things have stacked up and you feel overwhelmed and still tired, sick, lazy, etc.
    Tell yourself I've got to get my butt moving, I want this done, it's a beautiful day for this, etc.
    You'll be surprised how much you actually do get done before you quit for the day. The next day, there's a little less to do and you actually do feel better because of it." I have been feeling so overwhelmed and defeated lately by life stuff but you're absolutely right. It all deserves a "so what" and I need to be strong and get to pressing forward. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always thrills me to be an encouragement to my friends. I find myself just not wanting to "get started" with something. But once I do, it almost always goes better than I thought it would and does give me some satisfaction. But that's not to say that it's not alright to reward oneself every so often with a "day off" to rest, relax, recharge, nurish oneself spiritually. I used to be very good at setting Sunday's aside for this. But work and life has encroched upon my Sunday's and I find all too often I'm doing the same mundane things on Sunday as I do every day. That's something I really need to work on and get back to.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...