Wednesday, June 7, 2017

#Life: Yes, leave a message, but please don't leave a voicemail.

Please enjoy this short clip!



It's no secret we live out in the boonies.  We have a house phone. Our phone allows for people to leave a message.  While not on a separate machine with a tape, it works just the same as Jim's did on the Rockford Files.  In order to hear the message, there is no need to phone anywhere, just press one button and listen.  Pete checks our phone periodically throughout the day for missed calls and messages. I love when messages are like the one Jim had here.  Concise information and enough detail you don't have to call back unless you happen to want to.

Then there is voicemail, which is on every cell phone and many home phone services.  All of these devices that have voicemail, also tell you when you've missed a call.  I hate voicemail!  If I miss a call on my cell and I know you, I am definitely going to call you back.  Unlike the messages, if I want to hear a voicemail, I have to place a call and go through prompts.  Then nine times out of ten I'm going to need/want to call the party back as well.  To top it off, if I am at home, the only way I can place these calls on my cell at the house is to go outside.  Once the voicemail icon pops up on my phone there is no way to know if you have one or ten unless I phone in.  It all just seems like much ado about almost nothing to me and way more trouble than it is worth.

For business purposes, I can see voicemail's benefit.  But I have little use for it in my life.  Most of the younger set I know never even bother to set theirs up and simply just return the missed calls they want to.  I think they have the right idea. 😉

What about you, is your voicemail set up on your personal cell phone? If so, do you listen to voicemails or just return the call?  Do you live in an area where all cell functions do not work inside your home?

Barbara In Caneyhead

21 comments:

  1. How weird. When I have a voicemail, it pops up on my screen. It tells me exactly how many as well as who it's from (if caller ID is enabled). Then I go to my phone "app" which has a voicemail screen, and there it is. No calling anywhere. If I had to call in for my voicemails, I'd never listen to them. I can even delete them unheard if I wish.

    Although, I'd rather get a text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every cell, be it Android or basic, I have had requires a call. Been on three different carriers as well. I like the sound of what your phone will do.

      I like text if it is a simple exchange of necessary information. Makes all of that super simple and easy! I don't like actual full length conversations in text at all.

      Delete
  2. I listen to my cell phone's voicemail, and I do text, but I agree with you that texting entire conversations is annoying. Make a blasted phone call if you have a lot to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I could count on you for a definite opinion! 👏

      Delete
  3. We don't have a home phone anymore, just cell phones. My iPhone does show when I get one and who it's from and I've only to push one button to hear it. My wife gets more calls than I do so it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Alex said. If I don't know a number, I don't answer, and if the message I get is the end of an automated message, I block the number. Many times I turn the ringer off. If they want to talk to me that badly, they'll leave a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't answer calls from unknown numbers either.

      Delete
  5. I have no problems with voicemail. I don't answer phone calls from unlisted numbers but I use my cell phone as my business phone so I do answer calls from numbers I don't know as it may be new work. My voice mail is really simple though and I don't have to call another number, it is just there along with the info about who it was etc. I can speak into my phone to use the text feature so sometimes I do text a longer message but most of the time it is just a few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all makes good sense for business applications.

      Delete
  6. Mentioned it before, but I have a landline as required for work. Lots of people (collection agencies) leave messages for the people who previously had the number. I know I should pick up and let them know it is a new number, but I don't (I know bad). I basically ignore the landline number. I will listen to the few voice mails I get on my cell phone. Usually family members. Like I might have said before, its a standard joke in my family about me and cell phones. Son will try to reach me and I don't pick up (usually because I don't have phone with me). Eventually he'll text or call hubby if it is something he needs an answer on. He should know better and go immediately to hubby :) Personally, I know they are wonderful inventions, but I could so easily do without a phone.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cell phone primarily for being away from the house. It's a running joke/aggravation to my family that I often don't keep it near me at home, seldom think to check it if I don't hear it, and will leave it in the car when I go in places.

      Delete
  7. No home phones anymore just the regular mobile phones. If the text is that important then why not give a ring, hmmm. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! More fun to have a real conversation and less chance of misunderstanding because you can hear the tone of their voice.

      Delete
  8. I live in the boonies but the house phone doesn't always work. It's on a satellite, like cell phones that work better (that confuses me a little).

    I loathe talking on the phone but it's more a matter of courtesy. I won't call anybody back unless they leave a message- no matter what phone it is- if it's important, then it merits a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I'm just the opposite, I say if it is really important they will call back. 😉
      Have to admit there are some days where the last thing I want is a conversation on the phone. Most days it doesn't bother me, in fact with some people I enjoy it rather a lot!

      Delete
  9. This post actually brought a lump to my throat. Probably you didn't mean for that to happen! Let me explain. Rockford Files was a favorite of mine and my husband's. We used to snuggle together on the couch every Friday night and watch the re-runs of Rockford Files. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Paula, what a sweet, simple memory! Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  10. Most people I know text instead of call, which I don't mind too much because, as an introvert, I have a hard time talking on the phone when I can't see someone's facial cues and body language.

    I live in the country, but we somehow get decent cell reception. It's the internet that can get impossibly slow sometimes, especially on holiday weekends with everyone coming down to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. voicemail? I don't know, it's all electronic and when I do get a voice at work, I get an email alerting and then I go and listen but mostly, I don't recall anyone leaving voicemails lately. with emails and instant messaging, I don't see any good reason to use voicemail. but it's kind of fun to make those silly messages about not being home.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bit of a throwback, because I don't have a cell...only a landline. On a landline, voicemail is easy to manage.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...