Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Saw it on Facebook


Oh, yeah.  So many, many ways Walmart can enrage me.  Once upon a time, when it was plain old Walmart, I loved that store.  Got me through many rough times.  

Then here comes the Superstore.  God help us.  Now, if you want to grab some Benedryl, get a pair of shoelaces, pick up a gallon of milk while you are in there you have to run a lap around the whole dang store!  That's farther then walking down the sidewalk in downtown Silsbee and back.

People trying to run you over with their carts, can't wait two seconds for you to grab your jar of spaghetti sauce.  Excellent pharmacy, but if you get there the time of day I come through town, expect to stand in line and wait for 30 minutes.

Speaking of lines!  There'd be mornings I dashed in, they would have one checker open on the far end of the store and that was it.  Any other time, during peak hours, they'd leave lane after lane closed while their patrons backed up four or more deep.  

I stopped going to Walmart back last fall.  Just for those reasons.  I have a grocery store I stop at on the way home (Market Basket) that has excellent meats and good values every week and I never have to wait in a line there.  If two people are waiting, someone comes and opens another lane.  

For prescriptions, I moved to a pharmacy that has drive through. (Walgreens)  My Rx's cost me $3.00 more each, but to save me the time and hassle in all types of weather, that's worth it.

For every thing else, I use another discount chain. (Dollar General) Occasionally I have to wait in there as well.  But I don't have to hike all over a football field sized building to pick up three items either. 

Went back into Walmart a few days after Christmas.  Needed a couple of things other places don't carry.  They had lots of registers open.  I got checked out quickly.  I said something about how rare it was.  The clerk said it was their new policy.  

To myself, I said sure.  Soon as the after holiday bargain shoppers leave it will go back to normal.  Last Saturday, about a month and a half later, I had to go in again for a few things hard to find anywhere local but there. There were things they were totally out of.  But, once again, almost every check out lane was open!  No waiting in line. 

I was impressed.  But not enough to go back to making it my regular shopping stop.

What about you, what environment do you prefer to shop in?


28 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha. Sounds like you're at Checkers in Johannesburg. :)
    I've stopped going to Supermarkets for that same reason, I now only shop at small stores outside of malls. Much easier and a lot quicker. Blessings from South Africa, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walmart sucks. I hate shopping in there and if I can I do it else where simply because a lot of times they dont have what I want anymore. But I live in town that has a Brookshires, Family Dollar and Dollar General and Walmarts, that's it. And Brookshires has clerks that take your groceries out for you and load them so you dont have to. Good old fashion service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Brookshires. And it's pretty good. But overall the Market Basket beats them.

      Delete
  3. We started shopping at walmart when we had to reduce our spending. It has not been a bad experience for us except more busier the first of the month. I signed up fot their savings catcher program and have saved over 30 dollars so far this year.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your location and even the times of the day one shops effects the experience.

      Delete
  4. Our local Walmart isn't that great, so places like Target are the usual stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a local Target. And my few experience with the one in Beaumont didn't impress me much.

      Delete
  5. Walmart is okay. Not so bad. I went into our local one not too long ago after not having ever been there. Was surprised at all it had, from groceries to tools. I kind of like the one stop shopping. Took a while at check out tho, and not all were open for me, but I had no complaints. As a matter of fact, I probably spent too much time in there because I forgot I drove the Smart Car and barely fit everything into it ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gla you had a good experience. I used to. But they took so long responding and making changes! Not to mention I'd really rather stop two places I can get in and out then walk around over and acre of store.

      Delete
  6. We have a Super Walmart too. It kills my legs to shop there. All those checkout stands and only two open. I've found it is less crowded if I go right before or right after dark. I too changed to Walgreens for my medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our supermarket is probably minute in comparison with yours, only fifteen check-outs and one lot of self-service tills. However, the gripes are the same. Kids running around out of control, all sorts of things out of stock, but never the booze. Ach, it's not too bad, actually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that sounds to be about the size of our local Walmart. And, you are right...in the end, everything is as good or bad as you let it be.

      Delete
  8. Sounds just like shopping over here! I dislike any shopping during busy times, but if it's a quiet week day, then strolling around the shops and ending up having a coffee is good for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds like how I'd prefer to shop. But, alas, working full time, I'm out there with everyone else. :(

      Delete
  9. It's been a long time since I've been to Walmart. I seem to do most of my shopping at Kroeger's or Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what someone else was saying. No Kroeger or Target nearby.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is why I don't go to Walmart if I can help it! Plus, it's a personal choice, I can't stomach all their bad press and the fact that they're helping China turn the USA into it's own personal holiday resort! Great post! Also, thanks for commenting on the post I posted by accident on my blog!! I'd input so many letters for the A to Z that I was a bit crazy-eyed by the time I got to O!!! Looking forward to visiting you in April...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I really wondered what exactly was up with that.

      Delete
  12. I get a kick out of going to Wlamart. The rumors are all true. I just hope someone doesn;t photograph me there on a bad hair day and make me one of the People of WalMart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I'm usually in Walmart straight from work and half way presentable OR I have left from the house with no makeup or bra in some old tshirt and jogging pants.

      Delete
  13. Yup, we have some of those bigger marts here in Jamaica and let me tell you, I try to avoid them. Makes no sense when you're in there for very few items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you stopped by Caneyhead J.L. And find it interesting that you have the same thing in Jamaica. I picture Jamaica as so laid back and easy.

      Delete
  14. I do all my grocery shopping online now, so much easier and hassle-free - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even thought of the possibility of online grocery shopping! Probably like everything else...not available in our area. Like cable, Cheaper cell phone service. Taxi cabs. Hard to believe, but there is a down side to living in the sticks.

      Delete
  15. The Facebook organization assembles technologies that enable individuals to connect with loved ones, discover networks, and develop businesses.
    Buy all types of medicines from here-"online ed prescription".

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...