Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Harvest

Stopped by Carolyn's blog today.  As usual, she had a good, informative, thought provoking post.  She mentioned in that post how the message of many Christians, Christian groups and churches are being watered down.  Cleaned up to make them more acceptable.  More palatable.  Ignoring the fact that sin separates man from God, or that Christ's blood was necessary to cleanse us from sin, or that He is coming back.

Then I see this little story in today's Laugh and Lift.  This is not my writing, my work.  I share it here merely to cause some to reflect and to think. 

The Harvest
(Author Unknown)

 
There was once a spider who lived in a cornfield. He was a big spider and he had spun a beautiful web between the corn stalks. He got fat eating all the bugs that would get caught in his web. He liked his home and planned to stay there for the rest of his life.
 
One day the spider caught a little bug in his web, and just as the spider was about to eat him, the bug said, "If you let me go I will tell you something important that will save your life." The spider paused for a moment and listened because he was amused. "You better get out of this cornfield," the little bug said, "The harvest is coming!"
 
The spider smiled and said, "What is this harvest you are talking about? I think you are just telling me a story." But the little bug said, "Oh no, it is true. The owner of this field is coming to harvest it soon. All the stalks will be knocked down and the corn willbe gathered up. You will be killed by the giant machines if you stay here."
 
The spider said, "I don't believe in harvests and giant machines that knock down corn stalks. How can you prove this?" The little bug continued, "Just look at the corn. See how it is planted in rows? It proves this field was created by an intelligent designer." The spider laughed and mockingly said, "This field has evolved and has nothing to do with a creator. Corn always grows that way." The bug went on to explain, "Oh no. This field belongs to the owner who planted it, and the harvest is coming soon." The spider grinned and said to the little bug, "I don't believe you," and then the spider ate the little bug for lunch.
 
A few days later, the spider was laughing about the story the little bug had told him. He thought to himself, "A harvest! What a silly idea. I have lived here all of my life and nothing has ever disturbed me. I have been here since these stalks were just a foot off the ground, and I'll be here for the rest of my life, because nothing is ever going to change in this field. Life is good, and I have it made."
 
The next day was a beautiful sunny day in the cornfield. The sky above was clear and there was no wind at all. That afternoon as the spider was about to take a nap, he noticed some thick dusty clouds moving toward him. He could hear the roar of a great engine and he said to himself, "I wonder what that could be?"
 
2 Peter 3:3-4 "In the last days mockers will come, following their own lusts, and saying, 'Where is the promise of His coming?'"
 
2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow concerning His promise, as some count slowness, but He is patient toward you, not wanting anyone to perish, but for all to come to repentance."

                                     

Whether you are a Christian or not, hold pre-millennial views, post millennial views or pan "It'll all pan out in the end." please take a moment to answer this simple little poll totally anonymously

 

                                

17 comments:

  1. I was the second vote!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this and I voted yes and I'm not ashamed to say so. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great example in that story. Of course I believe in the second coming of Christ. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara....and you can count me in...I believe...and aren't we blessed that the Lord isn't in any hurry...he wants all who will come....God Bless...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara; I'm not familoar with Carolyn's blog; if she is not private, could you send me the link? this seems ilke something I'd like to read

    very good story about the harvest and the spider

    you know how I voted :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara what an excellent story!  It makes me sad that so mnay of us "bugs" have man, many spiders telling us life is good~ eat drink and be merry!  As long as we keep trying we can pray many more will be ready for the real harvest!  God Bless!  Thank you sister/freind of mine!  Love Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little story.  How can you read your bible and not believe in the second coming.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Barbara
    Very compelling story!Thank you! Do you have any more that you wouldn't mind sharing in your journal? I would love that!:):)
    I think that Christ absolutely loves us as he has said so I think he will be kind to us as much as possible.
    Your story brought up in my mind something that I found troubling. IA "new" church moved into an existing building here, tore it down, put up an expensive "artistic" building with beautiful wood for floors and ceiling.
    the pastor said" we have a beautiful art building, but that is not why we are here. we have nice music but that is not why we are here. We have a mosaic but that is not why we are here. We are here to learn from Jesus and talk to him and learn about eh cross."
    the senior pastor went up btw and he made a joke about his long hair. He said that the clerk was asking him at a store about echineca and vitamin C.."are you hiding a drug problem with that man?"I mean I was totally turned off. Then he said that the prophets made a tent for Jesus ...
    sooo? where was the lesson from the gospel?and where was the no money in church? where was the humility?
    you tell me.
    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I mean I was totally turned off."  I choose to respond to you here Nat, so if others read your comment they can see my response.  I don't know enough about it all to make a judgement.  But I can tell you to trust the Holy Spirit to lead you to a church that agrees with the Bible and preaches Christ crucified.  Sometimes it can take a number of visits and various churches to find the one that is right.  That doesn't make the ones we don't join bad necessarily, it's just that He has a place for each of us in the body of believers.  And some churches are "bad".....headed away from the truth.  We are to have no part in sitting under false teachers.  I'll be praying with you that you find the right place and that you'll know the place He'd have you to be.  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. you nailed it Barbara,
    You absolutely nailed it. It's sad really. But God is a patient God. He waited and loved me into the fold and I didn't want anything to do with Him until a few years ago. And I'm in my 40's. It's never too late. And your advice about finding a church that is Bible based is spot on... Job well done... :)

    Mik

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very good analogy!  Love it!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Barbara,
    thank you very much for your great analogy!
    I do have another church that I like a ton because of the good work and love they do.
    I have tow that I like because their service is so tuned into the New Testament and Scripture in the old way and praying in one of these is a delight!
    Two neighbors went to the new church and one had asked me to attend.
    I'm praying that she won't ask for feedback because I don't think she's ready for my feedback; which I told the other neighbor already! It makes me really mad because I think it confuses and misdirects our focus as a Christian community; not to mention how it is perceived to people looking for a spiritual home in Christ.
    I love you so much
    natalie
    p.s. so,me people think that when the minister belittles himself as possibly being confused for a lost person , that is good if it gets new people in the "church". Noooooooo! Christ never wanted the church to be a country club fellows.
    thanks for letting me vent Barbara! :)
    You're he Best!
    love,natalie

    ReplyDelete
  13. "p.s. so,me people think that when the minister belittles himself as possibly being confused for a lost person , that is good if it gets new people in the "church". Noooooooo! Christ never wanted the church to be a country club fellows.
    thanks for letting me vent Barbara! :)"  

    No problem, Nat.  I'm so happy to know you have good alternatives for a church home in your area.  If your friend presses you for your impression about the church y'all visited, then answer her truthfully, but in a gentle way wrapped in love.  Or invite her to go with you to one you know is on track.  Perhaps the Holy Spirit would then work it within her to see the difference.  

    It is not good for a spiritual leader to be "prideful".  Just as dangerous for them to boast about how similar to the world they are as for them to boast of how wonderously good they are.  The apostle Paul had the right mix.  He was upfront and honest about his past life before salvation.  And he openly admited he was not yet all he hoped to be in Christ, but he never discounted the mighty way the Lord used him and always gave Him all the glory for the results.

    In many too many ways there are churches worrying more about how many are in Sunday morning worship service than how many of those will actually get to Heaven.  

    I have really enjoyed our little side discussion.  ;o) My prayer is that it can be used to help someone who is confronting similar issues.  

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14.  BARBARA,
                       THERE WERE MANY MOCKERS BACK WHEN JESUS WALKED THE EARTH.
        NOW, SO MANY GENERATIONS LATER, THERE ARE MOCKERS AND NON BELIEVERS IN JESUS CHRIST.
       I THINK IT IS IN THE BOOK OF MATTHEW THAT JESUS TELLS US OF THE BROAD WAY AND THE NARROW WAY AND FEW THERE BE THAT FIND THE BEST WAY.
         WE HAVE A CHOICE AND ENVIORNMENT HAS MUCH TO DO WITH OUR CHOICE.
         BABYHOOD IS THE BEST TIME FOR BEGINNING TO HEAR THE GOOD NEWS OF THE GOSPELS. SO MANY YOUNG ONES DO NOT HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY.
           MANY SINCERE CHRISTIANS ARE NOW TRYING  TO DIRECT THOSE WHOM DO NOT HAVE EARS TO HEAR OR EYES TO SEE THAT THE BROAD AND DOWNHILL WAY IS CROWDED WITH EVIL ONES.
          ANY THAT ARE SITTING ON THE FENCE SORT OF THINKING IT OVER AND WATCHING THE FLOW ALONG THAT BROAD ROAD WHICH LEADS TO DESTRUCTION COULD MAKE A DECISION TO TURN BACK, REMEMBERING THAT SOMEWHERE A CHRISTIAN HAD SAID TO CALL ON THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS AND BE SAVED.
       CERTAINLY JESUS HAS THE POWER TO HELP THE FENCE SITTER TO FIGHT HIS WAY BACK UP THE BROAD EASY DOWNHILL WAY BACK TO THE INTERSECTION OF THE STEEP AND NARROW WAY.
       TODAY A FENCE SITTER COULD VISIT MOST ANY CHURCH THAT WOULD GIVE A BIBLE WITH WHICH TO READ THE BOOK OF MATTHEW FOR VERYIFICATION OF THE BROAD AND NARROW WAY.
       HOWEVER IT IS NECESSARY TO BE SINCERE WHEN CALLING ON THE NAME OF OUR LORD.  THE CHOICE IS THERE.   sam
       

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like no one doubts Our Lord will have reason to re-visit us, which translates into many believing He really was here before.  Always better to have faith than none, I'd say, no matter how we may disagree on certain details, it's all the same once boiled down to faith. This story was very uplifting, thanks!  CATHY
    http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/
         

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great post.  We live in an "eat, drink, & be merry" society for sure.  The watering down of the Gospel has been a pet peave of mine for some time.  In most churches now, there are many things you just don't hear anymore including Revelation prophecy, Hell is a real place, & the shedding of Jesus' blood.  I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of any minister preaching a more "acceptable" Gospel at judgement time.

    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
  17. My belief in the Christian religion has varied all because of people that have presented themselves to me as a Christian and member of a church, then took advantage of their trust I had in them.    It is in the form of my monetary loss by especially one woman that actually came into my home when I was unable to move in bed and she picked my wallet.    Her mother at the Pentecostal Church I started attending also made me uncomfortable when I asked for change for a $10 bill my first Sunday School class she held.    I wrote to the minister about my loss and returned my thyte (spelling, donation) envelopes.    The woman had a past in crime she had told me about and I would never had trusted her, had she not been part of the church.    I also think her family was affiliated with the 'Traveler's', an Irish group that scams people.     So over time I have seen how young people on TV that have come to Christ are such positive influences in society.    My faith is being renewed.     I condsider you a genuine source of influence.   mark

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...