Friday, October 13, 2006

Where Was I?

I did not plan to take a sabbatical, but it seems I did.  Not as much online time.  And when I have been on, been doing different things.  For one thing, I put all the Devotions on Marriage in their own journal, posted in order for easy access.  The link is in my side-bar, as well, if you know anyone who might benefit from them.

Some time back, I mentioned that when I was first journaling here I would have a Word on the Word at the end of most every entry.  Thoroughly explored one subject a verse at a time, for example our speech and anger.  I asked for suggestions as to a new topic, that I was about to pick this up again.  Of the responses I got, depression, discouragement and anxiety were prevalent.  I see a lot of it as I journey around J-land.  I hear about a lot of it in prayer requests.  I have dealt with some in the past. 

I got out my trusty Living Bible with the extensive concordance.  Seems they didn't use these terms.  But they had some that coincide with these issues:  fear, worry, affliction, discontent.  "They" say that to train to recognize a counterfeit bill, people study the real deal, not the counterfeits.  If they know the real thing inside and out they will spot all counterfei.  Much of the Bible and indeed the principles of Christianity operates in this way.  Setting your sites on the goal, whether than where you are now.  On grace, rather than sin.  On the Fruits of the Spirit whether than on worldly things.  So, going on this premise and looking at some things opposite of what we are dealing with we get:  comfort, contentment, happiness, health, joy. 

So these are some of the things I'll be examining in the Word on the Word at the end of most every entry.  This won't be a miracle cure.  It won't answer physical reasons for emotional distress.  But I pray it will be a balm to woundedsouls, a help to those who are hurting.  God promises His words does not return void.

Without any further ado, today's Word on the Word

It is not politically correct to say in this day and age, but when we are miserable one of the first things we need to check is whether it may be the conviction of the Holy Spirit trying to get us to turn to/ return to God.  It's a repeated theme in the Old Testament, His People (Israel) forgetting God in times of plenty and good; or railing against Him when befell by hardship or in the shadow of their Enemy.  We draw back from God.  We turn to other sources for our strength, our joy, our needs.  Yet He made it clear, we won't be blessed (happy) any way except in Him.  Deuteronomy 28  is our text.  When living for/with God:  "The Lord will defeat your enemies before you...prosper everything you do...He will change you into a Holy People dedicated to himself; this he has promised to do if you will only obey him and walk in His ways...The Lord will give you an abundance of good things..." drawn from vs.1-13.  But when we turn away from God and His precepts:  "Each of these blessings depends on your not turning aside in any way from the laws I have given you; and you must never worship other gods...You will be confused and a failure in everything you do...you will...flee before your enemies in utter confusion...you will not prosper in anything you do...You will go mad because of all the tragedy you see around you...your lives will hang in doubt. You will live night and day in fear." vs.14-66. Go to the Lord.  If  you earnestly ask Him to show you if or where you have departed he will be faithful to show you.  Once you see your sin as He sees it, come to agreement with Him and renounce and repent of, turn from,  your sin He is faithful to forgive and restore your relationship with Him.

Is departure from God always the reason for suffering?  No, it isn't.  There are many reasons.  But this is the place to begin.  Introspection, guided by the Holy Spirit.  Then you can knowthat God is for you and with you in whatever you face. 

 

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful entry! I love reading HIS WORD.
    Thank you for prayers, and for taking the time to post entries that bless others - as well as help them better understand God's word.
    Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
            http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THROUGHGOD'SEYES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara!  I'm so glad you're back.  This was a good entry.  As usual, I can think of lot's of things to say, but I'll keep it short for once.  I am starting (Sometimes) to understand and accept that I suffer from depression, but that it doesn't have to be so bad, because it does help me to focus more on God and try and stay close to Him, to depend on Him in whatever is happening in my life.  I am starting to feel like Paul, who although had his thorns, and asked to have them removed- I only need Jesus- He is sufficiant!  Thanks Brarbara- I hope you go more into this one.  There is a lot to talk about it.  Have a good week end- God Bless! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara!

    That is a really good entry.  We never want tests and trials, but I agree they are there for a reason.  Sometimes we see the reason and it brings us closer to God.  Sometimes we can't and we have doubts.  We have to keep our heart on the GOAL..Gods Goal!

    I'm keeping everyone in my prayers.  Maybe God will send some of them my way so I can help with their health too.

    God Bless You!
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4.   BARBARA, YOU ARE SO RIGHT. YOU ARE A TRUE CHILD OF GOD AND AN OPTIMIST.
       AN OPTIMIST DOES NOT DOUBT GOD'S WORD.  EVEN WHEN SETBACKS OCCUR WE NEED NOT STAY DOWN IN THE DUMPS. THE HOLY GHOST WITHIN US IS THAT COMFORTER THAT JESUS PROMISED AFTER HE WAS RISEN.
         SO MUCH FORGIVENESS WHEN WE DO NOT DESERVE IT.
     SCRIPTURE TELLS US, PRAY FOR WISDOM.
           SECULAR ONES, PERHAPS NOT EVIL, MAY HAVE EYES TO SEE THE LIGHT AS PAUL DID ON THE WAY TO DAMASCUS.
         SO MUCH EVIL AND SO MANY EVIL ONES, IS THE ANSWER IN THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS ?
        EVIL BEFORE NOAH BUILT THE ARK.  AFTERWARD TOO.  HERE WE ARE, APPROXIMATELY 4 BILLION PEOPLE.
           THE GOSPELS ARE CIRCLING THIS EARTH BY MODERN COMMUNICATION.
     HOW LONG BEFORE EVERY CREATURE HEARS IT ?         sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Barbara. Thanks for a great entry

    Guido
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful Barbara
    love,nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know when you've finallly arrived in your faith...your prayers are simply...what do you want me to do next Lord?...Where do you want me to go?...let me pray for this person.....Your no longer praying for dreams because he marks your steps....when it happens...it happens...Your no longer praying because you have little money because your belly is full...Your no longer praying because you lost your job because you know the birds are fed, so your job will come....If you have no home you ask, where do you want me to go...

    ~Raven
    http://journals.aol.com/rebuketheworld/RandomThoughtsConnected/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throughly enjoyed this entry.  =)

    LORI

    Who I am… underneath it all:  
    http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe

    Precious Metal (A Spiritual Journal)
    http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true that when our lives are not in harmony with God's plan we will not be happy as wickedness never was happiness.  Also there is the issue of free will.  God has given us free will and sometimes when other mis use their free agency for evil acts sometimes it causes sorrow in others, Kinda like my Jeep getting stolen this week. Anyow great thoughts!!!

    Kara :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...