Monday, April 27, 2015

Musical Memories - The Waiting (is the hardest part)


My theme is Musical Memories:  The Memories that music brings rushing back.

Yeah, okay, this one is a stretcher.  I had a topic I wanted to reminisce about and I drummed up a song to fit it.  (This is the one time, I went in reverse)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers had a decent hit with this song.



And I want to talk today about the waiting.  Seems no one has to wait anymore for hardly anything. Your tax refund maybe, your health benefits perhaps...but so much is now readily available.
At your fingertips, literally!  And that is one thing I love about Spotify.  I can hear what I want, when I want.  (Except for the few artists who decline to get involved with it.)


Yet, think of it.  We have a whole generation that is being raised with instant gratification.  There's no waiting.  No anticipating.  And they are missing an awesome experience. A patience teaching experience.  An experience that teaches a good life lesson.  And I think that is sad.

Back in the 70's, when a new song came out on the radio, and you loved it, you had to keep the station tuned in, in the background and come running to hear it when it came on.  To own it, hear it when you wanted to, you had to either have a recorder (8-track or cassette) and wait patiently close by for it to come on and start recording at the first few strands and hope and pray the announcer didn't start talking over it before the song was actually through playing.  Or you had to hurry to the record store and find it wasn't in yet.  Then hurry back and find it was sold out.  Then hurry back and maybe, you'd be lucky enough to get a copy.

Even a few years ago, listening to regular FM stations in my vehicle, it was such a joy to have a cherished song you didn't own come on the radio!  To hear it, to sing with it. And now, thanks to sticks, phones, Itunes and such, you can get and carry a song easily enough.  You can listen to it, until the real joy of hearing it is burned up.  Or even if you still enjoy it, there just isn't that element of excitement.

That's the yen and the yang of it.

What song or artist has had you waiting to get your hands on a copy?
What song have you played until you've worn yourself out on it?
Do you purposefully have your child wait for some things so they can know the joy of finally getting it?

26 comments:

  1. My go to song... Like a Rock -Bob Seger.... I am living the song everyday. thank you!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Just like Chevy Trucks. That's a pet nickname of mine for Pete. ;)

      Delete
  2. So true. Everything is instant now. Not sure if that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think that a chunk of the excitement and joy is stolen by getting things too quickly, too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember trips to the record store, then the CD store. And hours waiting by the radio to record that song.
    Now that we can control what we hear, it's up to us to keep from making ourselves sick of a song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! And there are some, I don't think I can tire of, as I've been listening to them for 40 years!

      Delete
  5. LOVE that song. It brings back a lot of memories for me too!

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! That's what I'm here for: jogging those memories.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I remember in the 80s, waiting to hear your fave song on the radio! Thank goodness we have Pandora or Spotify or etc.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lie, it is nice to know you can hear what you want when you want.

      Delete
  7. Enjoying your posts... just found you and thanks for visiting my dog blog lavidadog.blogspot.com
    I do a similar posting during the month of July on my blog... caldreamsquirrel.blogspot.com I call it my iPod Birthday Month Shuffle... and I write about whatever song happens to pop up that day along with the memory... thanks for sharing yours... can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't purposely make the kids wait. They have to wait because we just don't have the money to rush out and buy everything they want. So they have to wait. And save their money. I agree that the instant gratification is part of a problem with the society we now live in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many things I thought was ridiculous and never even tried to get my kids. And many others, like you say, either I or they had to save up for or wait for a birthday or Christmas.

      Delete
  9. excellent post and so true. I had to save up allowance for certain records, etc. I must admit I'm not total instant gratification these days - still have that save instinct and question if I really, really NEED it. I love Hall and Oates and I'd have to get their tunes immediately back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to disagree about the idea of instant gratification. I mean, my generation has been taught that we have to do everything faster and more efficiently, so yeah, we don't wait for a lot of things. Because waiting usually gets us yelled at by our elders for wasting time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but there is a difference between getting busy with a project instantly and having your own wishes or desires filled instantly. We all have to adjust to the world we live in. My point is if things just fall into your lap, you don't appreciate them as much as you do if you work for them, plan for them and sometimes have to wait for them.

      Delete
  11. Ha! I had so many of those tapes from the radio with cut off beginnings and talk over endings. People who don't know how to wait should become writers. They'll either learn or go nuts. We have to wait for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I asked my husband what it would be for him. He narrowed it down to three:

    Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, and Billy Joel.

    This was such a great post. I really identify with it.

    Blessings,
    Theresa



    https://pronetoponder.wordpress.com/

    https://serenadedinseconds.wordpress.com/

    A-Z Challenge- “Blossoming Verses”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never too into Steely Dan, but I adore the Doobies and love me some Billy Joel! So glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  13. Yep, this generation is pretty impatient. Although, I'm sure they'll learn patience eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at some point. If they ever plant a vegetable garden, they will. The first time they start the process to buy a home, they will. The first time they they are expecting a baby, they will. Some things science and tech still can't speed up that much. ;)

      Delete
  14. This was one of my favorite albums, I listened to it TO DEATH. My brother came over to my apartment, desperate to earn money. I talked him into cleaning for some cash. He saw my Tom Petty album and took that instead. I still laugh about that one.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...