Monday, April 6, 2015

Musical Memories: Eddie Rabbitt Crime Spree


My theme is Musical Memories:  The Memories that music brings rushing back.

One of my best buddies for a decade was a boy named Randy (A).  From Jr. High on through the early 80's we hung out. One weekend when I was in from college, Randy called and told me to come to the lake for the weekend with him, as his other friend Randy (D), had his parents camp and was bringing his girlfriend.  Knowing Randy, he didn't want to bring a true girlfriend because that would imply a seriousness he didn't want to express and yet, he didn't want to spend the time as a third wheel.  


I said sure.  We met up at Randy D's house.  We left our cars there. Everyone road in D's truck and he pulled his parent's boat with it.  Along the way we stopped for drinks and the guys picked up a brand new Eddie Rabbitt tape.  Which one I don't remember, but it had "Rocky Mountain Music" on it. That tape became our sound track for the weekend.

   


Took turns riding in the bed of the truck. (Yeah, we were fools.)  Sliding glass back and the tunes pouring out through the hole.  The camp house was nice and right by the water. Small fire outside at night.  Days filled on the boat in the water. One where you could sunbathe on the prow or dive off and get back in by a ladder.  I swam a lot.  The boys took turns skiing. All in all, a perfect weekend for young adults.

We pack back up and come back home.  Pulling into D's parents driveway we notice they are home...and so are the cops!  Seems someone forgot to get permission, tell his folks what he was up to.  Randy A. and I looked at each other and realized it was a good idea to simply go to our vehicles and get the hell out of Dodge.  Don't know how much trouble D got in by that, as we left him high and dry.  But to this day, this is one of the memories that an Eddie Rabbitt tune can bring flooding back.

Did you have a bestie of the opposite sex?
Ever find you were involved in something slightly illegal?



31 comments:

  1. Fun story sounds like some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, poor Randy. Sounds like a great weekend though! I've never heard of Eddie Rabbitt before. I did come home to police when I was about eight, after I'd walked about four miles into town trying to get a copy of the Beano comic which always came out every Tuesday. Turned out it was a day late that week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, yeah, I bet you did! Your parents were probably beside themselves with worry! Talk about a devoted young fan!

      Delete
  3. What a great weekend. I felt like I was there. I could feel your good time. Love how music brings back the memories...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, why, thank you Michele! What a nice remark! Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. I had some good male friends growing up, but it wasn't until I got married that my husband became my true BFF! It's wonderful that we feel this way about each other. We not only in-love (35 years going strong), but we actually like each other. How can that be, right? There is only one thing that comes to mind regarding your 2nd question. I once broke into a swimming pool of an apartment complex after night fall with friends who lived there. Okay, it may have not be illegal, but it sure wasn't permitted. I remember feeling naughty and guilty, but it was thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Cathy! Pete & I just celebrated 31 years together. LOL on the pool incident. Naughty, guilty, but thrilling sums things up well.

      Delete
  5. Forgot to get permission - a small detail.
    I do have a best friend who is a woman, but that's my wife and we're kind of involved...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Eddie Rabbitt when I was in high school. So good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw him perform, but I've listened to his music quite a bit.

      Delete
  7. Oh my what an adventure! Fun until coming home :) The things we did then that we would shudder about now (riding in the back of a truck). Nope, didn't have a bestie that was of the opposite sex except for now with hubby. Yes, was involved in something majorly illegal, however, was a partner to the crime, but then fixed the crime so to speak, so made it right in the end, but still did an illegal act (can't really say what it was since it is not my entire story to tell)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many things I did that I'd just die if I knew my kids did them! Hubby besties are the best! Betty, I'm astounded! But at least you managed to "fix" it.

      Delete
  8. I actually had two besties of the opposite sex and they cancelled out each other. Literally, one was ridiculously jealous of the other and it became a big problem.

    My third male bestie, I married. He is still the bestie of the best.

    As for illegal things - not so much. I was more of a prankster (come to think of it, some of those may have bordered on illegal, but I don't really want to incriminate myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! It's never good when best friends get jealous of one another. I can see the mischief still twinkling in your eyes Cherdo!

      Delete
  9. I dig the rabbit, it's something my parents help me grow up on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. alas I was such a dork. No boys in trucks to run around with. Sounds like you had fun. I've heard the name, but Eddie Rabbit was not on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Eddie Rabbit! I had a weekend or two just like that. Oh the memories

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great weekend. Too bad it wasn't entirely approved...

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad for Randy D. - It didn't bother me none. I didn't scheme, I just had a nice weekend.

      Delete
  13. I did a lot of trespassing as a kid--all part of my "job" as a detective. My partner and I were very lucky we didn't get caught!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both my husband and I love Eddie Rabbit! I have memories of fun times like that. I got into a little mischief from time to time, but no run ins with the law. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about like me. Mischief that bordered the line.

      Delete
  15. That sounds like a lot of fun... though I know I shouldn't say that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. No and No, but your story made me wish I had both :)

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Glad I could allow you to live vicariously through my misadventures.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...