Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Musical Memories - Extra!

In my post for letter R, The Record Rack, in the A to Z Challenge, I asked a question:
  

Do you know who on my playlist was born in Beaumont and returned to live here? 

I had one person hazard a guess, and it was a very good one!  Sue McPeak from Collect in Texas Gal.  But, alas, that was an incorrect answer.  Although Janis Joplin did hail from Beaumont, TX, she never returned there to live before her untimely death.

The answer is, this Beaumont native:



Barbara hit number one on the R&B charts with her first release, "You'll Lose a Good Thing" in 1962.  She co-wrote the song.  This talented lady was a singer/songwriter and guitarist.

She returned to reside in her hometown a couple of decades later, but continued to tour. She was honored with a special birthday celebration for her 70th in Beaumont in January of 2012 and even performed herself that evening. 

4 comments:

  1. Cool :-)
    I have this idea that famous people rarely go back to their birthplace. That's always a tense relation, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not famous, so I can't say. But I know of several who have returned to our area to live and as far as I can possibly know they are/were fine and happy with it. (Tracy Byrd, Mark Chesnutt and George Jones)

      Delete
  2. Not many return to their hometown, so that was nice Barbara came back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. Her mom was still here at the time she moved back.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...