Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Musical Memories: Gary Stewart and Willys Jeeps



My theme is Musical Memories:  The Memories that music brings rushing back.


In the first years of our marriage, Pete got on a kick with Willys Jeeps.  He had about five or six old jeeps at one time. They were the PERFECT vehicle for riding old dirt roads and and down muddy pipelines on a starry summer evening with fireflies thick as Christmas lights.  

In Texas by James A. Michener, he all but credits the Willys Jeep and a steady supply for oil for winning the European Theatre in WWII. An unstoppable little vehicle. Light enough, a few strong men could lift it if necessary.

Easy to fix.  I remember Pete taking the cover off the shifter housing one night and shifting with a screwdriver to get us home.





I wouldn't trade anything for those days of riding, drinking, singing, laughing, muddin'.  Some of our best moments and lots of people who are now gone from this world wrapped up in those memories.

And the constant theme to these rides was provided by one old 8-track player that Pete would switch from vehicle to vehicle and this Gary Stewart album.





The beauty of the old 8-track was if dirt or mud got in it, all you had to do was blow it out, lick the tape and go again.

Now when I hear Gary Stewart, I can feel the cool evening air on my skin and smell the gumbo mud.  We are young and free once more.

Have you ever ridden in a Willys Jeep?
Ever been muddin'?
Are you familiar with Gary Stewart's music?


18 comments:

  1. No to all of the above but I always wanted a Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Paula, if we still had those Jeeps, I'd make Pete send you one!

      Delete
  2. That jeep sure looks like a lot of fun! I love your tips for cleaning off an 8-track tape! This brings back so many wonderful memories! I wasn't able to play any of Gary's songs on my iPad, but I'll try later on my desktop. It's nice to meet you via A to Z! I'm your newest follower, Barbara! Thanks for being an A to Z minion!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! And stirring up memories for others was my goal. If you don't already use the free Spotify app, you can click the right hand corner of the playlist (above the green circle and it will reveal links. Copy where it says "get the link" and paste that in a browser tab. There you can sign up or sign in to use the free web based version. Spotify lets you hear what you want, when you want, create your own playlists, etc. And the artists are payed when you listen. Thanks for coming to Caneyhead!

      Delete
  3. Yes - yes- and Yes. I grew up in a small town an hour east of Dallas near a lake. In High school, my friends and I LOVED going Muddin. It was so much fun and the boys had the perfect muddin vehicles. Old jeeps and trucks that were built like tanks back then.
    Gary Stewart was played a lot in our household. My mom loved him and she saw him many times in concert when he played at local bars and clubs. Unfortunately the last concert she went to- he was so drunk he could barely get through a whole song and kept falling off his bar stool on stage. I love his song- she's acting single, I'm drinking double. Single Again is my next favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Gary sang the truth. He was haunted by those demons. Girl, we got so much in common!

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite vehicle memories is riding on a motor cycle late, late at night, way out past the beach houses on South Padre Blvd, where it's only ocean on each side of the road and nature preserve...no pollution (back then) so them big ol' Texas stars in the soft summer darkness were hanging over my head like Christmas tree lights - just about close enough to touch. That was magic. I was singing "Stars fell on Alabama (Texas)" in my head. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds beautiful! Thanks for sharing your memory.

      Delete
  5. Lick the tape - yuck! Whatever works I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nope to all, but sounds like you had a lot of fun and great memories. Nice story telling

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like fun! No, I've never been in a Willys Jeep or heard of Gary Stewart's music. thanks for sharing both with us today!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother in law had a Willys Jeep and it was so much fun to ride around in. We never went mudding though. And I know Whiskey Trip by Gary Stewart! My ex loved this style of music

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems we just keep having more and more in common Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In answer to your questions: No, No, and No. However I have a few experiences like yours with muddin' that, while not the same, definitely had 'soundtracks' that will stay with me forever.
    Love reading through your musical memories posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of like having the same dress in another color. Or similar, dis-similar experiences.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...