Friday, June 29, 2012

Mustard Seed Eureka!

I am thrilled to report that I did indeed find mustard seed!  Since I work in the Big City, I dialed up the local HEB Superstore there and inquired about their supply.  I was assured they had it.  Whether because they planned ahead, or because city folk just don't make many pickles, I do not know.  But I hurried over there when I got off work and picked up two jars for hubby.


All this chase for mustard seed got me to thinking.  In the Bible, our Lord Jesus tells us "if we have only the faith of a grain of mustard seed."  As you can see, that is not much.  Extremely small, but readily visable.  And just like my search for the actual seed, this kernel of faith can be elusive and hard to find, to obtain.  And just as these seeds make all the difference in Pete's Bread & Butter pickles, this spiritual faith seed makes all the difference in our walk with Christ.  Just as I had to turn to a bigger source for the actual seeds, we have to turn to The Source (aka Holy Spirit) to obtain this faith seed.  The real seed is boiled in the brine to season the pickles and release it's flavor.  As our faith seed is boiled in the trials of life, it can also release a "flavor" to season the world around us.  Just as the seeds still look whole and unharmed in the finished jar of pickles, He Who Is Able will bring us through the hot water whole and complete.

Barbara

10 comments:

  1. Amen, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and a gentle reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything starts somewhere and it's usually a small beginning that builds. When we start with big faith or big ideas, it becomes easier to pick them apart and find fault.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the gracious comment you left on my post "Rabble in the Church". It's fellow Christians like yourself that give me the encouragement to keep blogging. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and by the way...great post !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, from the smallest thing can grow a great kingdom! I remember one of the Laurel & Hardy shorts, and they were aspiring entrepreneurs and their motto was 'From Little Acorns Great Oak Trees Grow', and although it was meant to be funny, it has a ring of truth. Most people who become great at something, whatever it might be, assuming they aren't wealthy or have influence or connections at the start, have to start small, have to start somewhere.

    Where faith is concerned, even Christians of long standing I think can wander around without faith for whatever reason; until we stop struggling perhaps and just learn to lean fully on God, His promises and His Son. It is certain that whoever we are, and whatever our standing with God, we will all have struggles in life; how we approach these struggles will be the difference between whether they are stumbling stones, leading us to despair, or stepping stones, leading us on to better things and a better relationship with Jesus.

    Oh, lovely blog by the way, I love the way you've designed it, it looks so professional! I use mustard seeds incidentally when I cook curries; I'm all the way down in lil ol' England! If you have the time or inclination, come take a look at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post - very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post! It's encouraging to know that big things can happen with small beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi honey. It's been a long time, hasn't it? Way too long. So much has changed though and guess I kind of lost track of everybody. I love this post because reading about the mustard seed in the Scriptures helps me remember how small my great faith once was. Hope things are good with you. love you and think of you often. I invite you to visit my spiritual journal "FROM BARB'S SPIRITUAL JOURNALS" I will email you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara,

    It's been a while since I have hoped over for a visit. I loved the mustard seed Allegories. They tied in so well together. It also made me smile.

    When our daughter was around 6 yrs old her church pastor sent her class home with one mustard seed. He told them to plant it and watch it grow. Brittany watched it every day. Then it started growing. She was so excited. But something wonderful started happening. That one mustard seed kept growing and growing! This one seed not only grew in the pot-it grew into Brittany's heart. She saw the words of Jesus come alive. Since then Brittany has had one of the strongest faiths I have seen. And she is a beautiful and wonderful prayer warrior! How thankful I am that she was able to experience something that wonderful. And thankful to Pastor Chris-who shared the word of God in a very tangible way to six year old's.
    I look forward to your next posting.

    Your friend~Donna

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...