Wednesday, April 12, 2017

#AtoZChallenge - Perspectives: Jokes

Jokes can make us laugh out loud, lighten and brighten our mood, smooth a tense situation, create a feeling of camaraderie.  Jokes can also degrade, brutalize, humiliate, and tear down. 

I prefer clean humor.  No nasty words or vulgarities.  If someone can't make me laugh without those, then they really aren't clever or funny.  I don't mind if a joke alludes to sex or adult content, as long as it is tasteful.  Part of being tasteful is that it has a universal basis that all adult people can relate to.

I despise mean, hateful jokes about ethnicity or any cultural group.  Good natured ribbing about things that are generally accepted by the people at large AND the group itself is fine. 

For instance, we live a redneck lifestyle.  Jeff Foxworthy's humor does not offend us or make us mad.  Much of it we can relate to:  trucks, hunting, dogs, etc. 

Think of the old Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.  They were hilarious!  Yet, there was no vulgarity.  There couldn't be, as television was still censored then to keep it from pulling our collective conscience down into the gutter.  Think of how Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, and even Bill Cosby could make us laugh until we had to hold our sides without one disgusting word.  Just timing, facial expressions and connecting to a relatable subject.


What about you?  What kind of humor do you enjoy?  Have you ever been hurt by jokes either on a personal level or as a part of a group? 

Barbara

17 comments:

  1. I come from a long line of witty people. The laughs never seem to stop at family gatherings. William Shakespeare's quote, "In jest, There is truth" seems to be a bit true. So I can see some people possibly getting offended at a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like lazy humour especially when it targets a group. I don't know if you'll get the reference but there are a lot of running jokes that tend to get lobbed at Scotland, usually based around diet, such as references to the deep fried Mars Bar, which is meant to be a delicacy here. Basically I don't like anything that is said to get a cheap laugh; I prefer my humour on the more witty and original side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I agree with you completely, Barbara! And today we use the same keyword for the A-Z challenge, though mine is a verb :) You'd probably love Tim Hawkins as well, if you don't already know him. Check out some of his work on Youtube. We went to see him in person a few years ago and it was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the clean jokes myself. I can't understand why some people have to add the nasties to make it better in their minds.
    http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love good fun jokes as long as not as someone elses expense. My family is all about jokes though so we have tough skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gross jokes bother me...I'm thankful both of my in there home client have sense of humor.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean. Try comparing the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts with the latter-day roasts on Comedy Central!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear!m I was so excited when I first learned they were hosting "roasts" as I thought of a return to fun of the originals. First time I tuned in, boy was I disgusted. Tried one other,thinking, hoping it was simply the people who were doing the 1st one I saw. WRONG. Even filthier! I heard people I had never heard even cuss, say terrible things. Never again for me.

      Delete
    2. Right. I am hard to offend, but even I think the profanity and vulgarity in those roasts are far beyond what's acceptable, to me, at least.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on good, clean jokes. So much of TV is getting harder and harder to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't ever see The Aristocrats. I couldn't sit through it because it was exactly what you're describing. Gross and crude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With you on this! Clean jokes are much more funny!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you. What is with the f bomb thrown around like normal conversation in movies?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can keep it clean and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on the jokes. I especially like subtle or intellectual humor that makes you think a bit or expresses a universal truth. My post today (for letter L) opens with a joke, but I'm not sure anyone will get it. (I made the joke up myself).

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen, amen! If you have to be obscene, vulgar or demeaning to be funny, then it's not my idea of humor. At the same time, I agree that we can find humor in our own live experiences and situations, we don't have to take life quite so seriously that nothing amuses us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the British humor. They have a special type of humor which is just too funny and they don't seem to try too hard. It just flows.
    There's an old British series called Keeping Up Appearances with an hilarious main character named Mrs. Bucket (she insists that Bucket is pronounced Boo-Kay)
    We South Africans are a nation who laugh a lot. No other country laugh at themselves like we do.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...