Saturday, November 19, 2005

Been Thinking Things Over

 Okay, I've been sitting around, looking around, researching, thinking and just mulling over this AD thing.  I'd prefer to have nothing on my journal.  But then again the webspace is AOL's and not mine.  I have nothing against anyone who has chosen to leave.    I'm going to try to stay in touch with them at their new places of residence, but I'll miss them in this community.  I do have a problem with some of the hurt that has been dealt about because of all of this.  I just pray everyone can forgive, heal and move on.

For me the biggest issue about ads, is if an ad were placed here that I just could not support as a Christian.....would AOL remove it?  If they didn't I'd have no alternative but to move on. 

Then there is a little thought that if someone somewhere is benefiting from my writing in a monetary way, then I certainly deserve some compensation.  I write here as a sounding board and hopefully as a light in the darkness......not with an eye toward profit.  Yet I certainly don't want to be used either.

I've found there is a great big Blog World out there, with many options.  And I am toying with the idea of starting one elsewhere.  Maybe a mirror blog....sort of the best of Caneyhead.  Who knows?  Then there is always the issue of time.  And my life allows me just barely enough time to tend this journal, visit and read ya'lls and try to stay on top of the Sisters in Christ Prayer Alert ministry.

Personally, I believe it is the addition of AIM users to AOL's journal pages and the broadening of the reader base (so they hope) that has driven them to start this ad thing.  Are they evil?  I don't think so.  I think they are corporate America doing what they do best, seizing the day.  Do they listen, do they care about us at all?  I think so, within reason....I've got Spell Check sitting here waiting on me.  Most everything I know of PC's and the Internet I learned from AOL. 

Lastly, and most important, Caneyhead is Caneyhead.  No matter where it's at.  No matter what the latest fad or phase.  It's still just a small community tucked in the pines that struggles to live, love and prosper.  Saints and sinners.   Young and old.  We still share, we still help our neighbors, we still enjoy a good visit and a hot cup of coffee.  So, if you're passing through, come on in....put your feet up, relax and visit a spell.  I'll be here.  I'm not leaving. 

 

16 comments:

  1. So much hurt right now, so much confusion, but this is a great entry. Everytime I think of leaving something pulls me back. For now, I will stay and hope oneday things will be as they once were.
    ~ Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said.  I'm staying for now.  You may like the entry I made today.  I decided to put in my own ad for my bank:
    http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/entries/1392
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you barb. Im gonna stick it out. Ive put to much time into my journal and made to many good friends to be leaving. I hope aol wisens up tho

    Hugs
    angelrose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, my friend.  I feel the same way.  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WILL STAY ALSO.  HOWEVER I AM DISAPPOINTED TO NOT BE ABLE TO PRINT OUT EACH INDIVIDUAL ENTRY.
        I HAVE BEEN HAVING BOOKLETS MADE AT A COPY SHOP. ABOUT A DOZEN BOOKLETS EACH TIMEAFTER ACCUMULATING 50 OR 60 PAGES.
            GIVE SOME AWAY AND SAVE SOME FOR GRANDCHILDREN.
     HOPEFULLY AOL WILL FIX THIS.        SAM

    ReplyDelete
  6. HELLO FRIND GLAD TO SEE YOU STILL HERE I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE EITHER UNLESS MY PHINE IS SHUT OFF THEN NO CHOICE I LOVE YOUR JOURNAL AND YO ARE A STRONG GENTLE SPIRIT WOMAN OF GOD TAKE CARE MY FRIEND GOD BLESS KELLEY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment. I am glad you are still here too. Takes more then a few ads to get me bent out of shape. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand why many people do not like the ads.   Just to be on the side of some journals that moved, I moved to the UK, then couldn't make entries there, came back, and now I can make entries there.   I notified people that I moved back, and now I am in both places.   Sound confusing?   Getting things straightened out making the save work and using FTP space was the big problem.  Now I installed a beta tabbed AOL format that will take me time to figure out and caused me problems right after install.  I think things are settling down and many people I know just moved to the UK.   What else is new and exciting?  mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it has been a sad week and I can fully understand why people feel the way that they do.  Aim users gets it free and Aol customers are paying, I think that is what irks them most and that they were not warned or given any choice in what ads their journals would carry.  Trouble is that so many people have moved, I have lost track of them.  A lot of gone to blogspot and I was able to comment on one of them once but when I tried again, it would not let me add comments no matter what I did.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with this whole entry. I have already seen one add that I DO NOT agree with, that I want to have strictly kept away and off of my journal. It goes against what I believe. I however wont be leaving either. I am thinking of doing a mirror blog, it just depends.

    Hugs
    Brandi : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im with you my friend. I think you have the right perspective.  Glad to hear you are not leaving. I'm not either. But I know we will surely miss those dear friends that move on.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am staying. I just push the ads up where I can't see them then carry on. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I had thought to have a mirror blog all this time, then it woudn't be so hard to leave when I want to.  I am still hoping it will all work out and I don't have to leave aol.. but my husband is cheering on that idea lol so that doenst help much either.  I am torn in two over it all.  AND just because I may leave aol and blog somewhere else, doesnt mean I will not keep up with my friends here and vice a versa.. those who loved me on aol should still love me off of aol.  AOL is not what binds us together.. but love is.

    Much Love,
    Mary
    http://marybea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy to see that you are staying for now.  I love your journal.

    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOU know I looked at those ads after being away for 12 days and just thought something new has been added.... see they are on the top of the page when I do my free fantasy sports too.... maybe if they were not there they wouldn't be free. Wonder now what all the fuss is about and why does anyone bother to look at them longer than a second. I just wish they wouldn't stop me from getting an entry into my journal but I asked and was told things would get better by Wed... hope so, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...