Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Tender Years: Preaching




"A grownup is a child with layers on." - Woody Harrelson


Peeling back the layers.




Back up in Carthage, TX.  I can't possibly be more than 5 years old. We'd go to Sunday church.  I don't remember anything about that church.  But I do recall coming back to the house, going into my room, I had a small square table that stood about two feet tall by my bed.  I pulled it out into the center of the floor, opened my little white King James Bible on top of it, and proceeded to preach.

All so long ago, I don't recall what I preached, what I said to my imaginary congregation, but I recall vividly how it felt.  I felt white hot and on  fire for the Word.  It seemed that in that moment I understood things far beyond my years, comprehended the urgency of the message and used words and expressions I had never used.or really even knew.

I don't recall ever doing it again.  It was just something burning in my heart to do that one day. And then it was over.  Was it simply a child inspired to mimic the preacher she had heard that morning in some imaginary play time?  Was it  a young child sincerely led to try to worship and proclaim God?  Did I think those thoughts and say those things or was the Holy Spirit in the room with me?

Whatever it was exactly, it left a strong memory.  And I still have the little table beside my side of the bed.

Did you ever have bouts of  imagination that went beyond your years and understanding?  Ever seem to feel things and understand things beyond your years?

Thanks for sharing!

Barbara

18 comments:

  1. I don't recall ever feeling wise beyond my years. But I think every once in awhile we have moments of clarity. Where we are truly focused on something and that helps us see things better for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretended to be many things as a child, but never a preacher, to my recollection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm not sure why, I just remember it clear is a bell.

      Delete
  3. I remember when we went to bible school when we were very young. When we were done with the class we all got together with the grown ups in the church. The preacher started his fire and brimstone and there were people out in the pews that started babbling in a language I had never heard before. It was very scary for me. Later I was told they were speaking in tongues. I have never forgotten that experience. I hope this is appropriate to write here.
    http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with writing that here. You apparently were at some form of the Pentecostal church, or something similar. To Baptists, speaking in tongues means that by the Holy Spirit's power you are able to speak in a language you have never spoken before so that people who only speak that language can understand the Word of God.

      Delete
  4. Your post today brought back memories for me, not from my own childhood, but that of our Marine son. When he was a little boy, he would put on his suit and preach, too. He wanted to grow up and be a preacher man (as well as president of the US). Those days were so long ago, it seems. Life got in the way and now he has so many questions. Please pray for him to come back fully to the faith of his childhood.

    Thanks for the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young children consider so many roads. I will definitely cover your son in prayer. Remember God's promise to us, if we raise them in the way they should go, they will not depart long from it.

      Delete
  5. What a profound experience for you and to remember it all these years! Nothing similar here that I can think of.

    thanks for blitzing me :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I guess the sermon really spoke to you that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara, thanks for stopping by. I'm too tired to leave anything else. Been a long crazy day to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to pretend I was a teacher to my stuffed animals

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like when I was younger I totally understood life better than I do now! I think I read people so much more clearly too! Maybe it was because I was so innocent? Maybe it was because I wasn't afraid to just be who I was? I am not sure. This was a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the "layers" we put on as we grow up hide our true selves and color our impressions of the world.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...