Friday, June 23, 2017

#Faith: #TheWordOnWords


"Then Judah stepped forward and said, “O sir, let me say just this one word to you. Be patient with me for a moment, for I know you can doom me in an instant, as though you were Pharaoh himself."

Genesis 44:18, TLB


Last time we looked at the folly of persisting in an argument just to have the last word and the damage it can do not to allow a little time and distance cool the fires of anger.   Today, let's look at how quickly anger and words can damage people and relationships.

In Genesis 44:18, we read the words of Judah when Joseph's brothers were caught leaving Egypt with the money and silver cup Joseph had planted on them. "...I know you can doom me in an instant...."

Unlike Joseph, we don't have the authority of Pharaoh behind our words.  Yet, our words still carry a lot of weight, especially for those they are directed at.  And even to ourselves, as how we are perceived by others comes in large part by what we say and how we say it.

It takes only an instant to become angry, but in that instant we can do irreparable damage to those around us.  Even if what we say in anger does not seem that bad to us, each of us has different sensibilities.  

Pray to be slow to anger. Try withholding comment once you start to feel anger.  Once again, remove yourself from the situation until you are calmer.  It may be that in retrospect it was not that big a deal. Yet, even if it still seems to be a matter you need to address, better to do so with a clear head and a calm demeanor. 

Has angry words or actions ever destroyed a relationship you were in?  Has cruel words ever harmed your sense of self worth or purpose?  Have you uttered things in anger you immediately wished you could take back?

Barbara

12 comments:

  1. My dad always quoted the Greek proverb, "When the Gods decide to destroy you, they make you angry."
    I've always known I have a temper and I've almost mastered it. But yes, I have truly created unnecessary situations with my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pretty lucky. I'm pretty good with words, and that means that I could be quite hurtful with them if I let my temper run free. Being aware of that ahead of time has caused me to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a quote: "Words can only be forgiven, not forgotten." It's important to consider what we say, even in times of anger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good quote! Isn't it wonderful that our Heavenly Father remembers our sin no more?!

      Delete
  4. So true!

    I've been fortunate - friends and family and later an ex-boss taught me to bite my tongue and not speak when not in control of myself. Not that I've mastered it, but I try. Work in progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bible says the mouth is the hardest thing to master.

      Delete
  5. I suspect it's a rare person who hasn't said (or heard!) something in anger that wasn't regretted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wise words. I need to remember to stay quiet when I am angry. I often say what I think and then find that I need to apologize. My granddaughter has pointed that out to more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely easier said than done, but certainly worth our effort.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...