Sunday, June 19, 2016

I Saw it on Facebook

It's been awhile.  Too long, really.  So tonight I want to share a graphic that, to me, sums up very well the reality of love, the reality of married life.


Somehow, as Father's Day draws to a close, this is perfect.  The perfect way to honor my man, the father of our children.  I'd add to it only, that there are many ways of saying "I love you." and a lot of them don't include words.  It is holding your hand the entire time you are having their child.  It's always coming to the rescue, even when they are mad at you.  It's never refusing to hold you if you need it.  It's coming through that door every day, choosing to make a life with you.

He might not be a poet or singer.  But maybe he expresses the romance in his heart by cooking for you.  By waking you to go on a midnight picnic.  By giving you an anniversary present in front of the whole church.  By bringing home silly little convenience store treats for you.  By asking you to come outside and see this sunset.

Perhaps he is like the Fonz, and has never uttered the words "I'm sorry." more than once or twice his entire life.  But maybe he stays quiet and removed to let you calm down.  Then he'll start to try to make you laugh or smile.  To tease and pick on you like you were kids.  Invite you to sit a spell with them or see something they have done in the yard.  That's him saying he regrets the riff.  He misses what the two of you have.  He wants it back, whole and vibrant.

The bottom line, is never think that the language of love is always spoken in words.

I invite you to share something that comes to mind when you read the words above.  Some way your man (or you as a man) spoke without speaking.

Barbara

17 comments:

  1. This is so true, Barbara, "never think that the language of love is always spoken in words."

    Sounds like your husband and mine are alike in some ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man's man. But that doesn't mean they can't be a ladies' man too. ;)

      Delete
  2. Your husband is blessed.
    Neither my wife nor I are perfect either, but we're right for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! That's one of the sweetest comments I've ever gotten. Right for each other is all that matters.

      Delete
  3. None of us are perfect. I am always remembering Richard to be much more perfect than he was while he was alive. Every once in awhile I have to say something about him that shows his imperfection. The kids look at me like I'm crazy. They want to remember perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let them if they need to. You can treasure all of it. And one day, down they line, they might as well.

      Delete
  4. A nice tribute to your hubby Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. I love him more than life itself, yet at times I've wanted to kill him with my cast iron skillet. Pete & Barbie are a Caneyhead love story.

      Delete
  5. Its awesome to enjoy what the planet has to offer, health, kindness and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great words above. So true, we may not be perfect, but we can be perfect for someone. The trick is to find that person who we would be perfect for. Also, I would be, (and have been), the one to write poetry.
    Yikes! I'm so far behind in my blogging! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the way you summed it up! Some are gifted to express with words. I'm glad you are one, as I think there is a freedom and range in words that is hard to capture other ways.

      Delete
  7. One moment that stands out to me was way back in November of 2012, the last few minutes before our anniversary started. David's toe had just been amputated because it had become necrotic. After he had awakened from the anesthesia and I came into the room, he had a smile and look on his face like I'd never seen before. He reached for me and was genuinely happy to see me. I wish that look was always here, but I'll hold onto that moment forever. We both realized how very close we came to him leaving us. He was on death's door when he was admitted to the hospital that day. That moment will always make my heart smile, remembering the look on his face when I entered the room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Familiarity may not necessarily breed contempt, but I think it often makes us take one another for granted. No matter how much another means to us, we look at one another day after day and that expression of wonder and love doesn't shine through. Apparently, David had been worried inside if he'd see your face again. Then the sight of you, realizing he had made it through and was still with you, brought the emotion to his face, his eyes. A precious moment to treasure!

      Delete
  8. "a part of him he knows you could break..." Wow. That gave me chills. I'm a fan of Bob Marley anyway, but this is profound insight. I didn't think I could be any more crazy about my husband and now you (and Bob) just proved me wrong! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...