Saturday, November 22, 2014

Peek-a-boo

Last weekend, Baby Ruth spent the night with Mawmaw and PawPaw so the kids could go out for the evening.  I had picked her up on my way home from work and we had all had a good evening together.  We'd ate pizza, built blocks, read books, played Cookie Jam, watched a Disney movie.  Baby Ruth had her bath and was in her little zip up footie pajamas.  Snug as a bug, cute as pie.

It was now a little after nine and I'm watching Blue Bloods.  Bug is reading.  PawPaw is in bed and Baby Ruth is playing quietly on the floor of the living room.  She has an old baby towel she is playing with.  At one point she stands up, puts it over her head and engages me in a round of peek-a-boo.  Then Aunt Bug takes a turn.  We have several rounds of the standard "Where is so & so?" - "There she is!" peek-a-boo.

Now Baby Ruth does it again, only this time when I say, "Where is Hazil?", we hear a deep, throaty growl come out from under the towel.  I think, "Oh, she's using her imagination and changing the game.  Mawmaw will play along with her."  

So, I say, "Bug, did you hear that?!  What is it?!" very theatrically.  Then Bug responds with, "Yes, I don't know what it is."  And I go on with "Oh, my, what could it be?!  I'm scared."  

Next thing I know, Hazil Ruth, standing in front of me, throws the towel back and with a trembling lip, and in a low whispery voice says, "Mawmaw, I scared."

My heart melts and breaks at the same time.  I throw my arms open and she runs into them.  I scoop her up in my lap and she nestles her head on my shoulder.  We stay like that about 10 minutes and the poor little thing is out like a light.  I go lay her down by PawPaw were nothing can hurt her or scare her. 

Never knew Bug and My's acting was so convincing.  



2 comments:

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...